Thursday, November 11, 2010

Hands

What is the first thing you notice when you see an animated character?
Probably their facial expressions and posture/stance. Perhaps their clothing and body type. I mean, that's the first thing I look at when a new character appears on screen.

But when I was browsing some blogs, I noticed a lot of posts about the emphasis of characters' hands.

One blog I found, called the Academy of Art Character and Creature Design Notes, has three entire blog posts dedicated to just sketches of many types of hands in many various positions and angles. 

Here's one of the pictures.



You can view the rest of the blog posts herehere , and here.
 
Toby Shelton's blog also has a post on hands. He tells us that expressive hands can have a big impact on the post and gesture of the characters. Hands also tell the characters attitude. If you want to be an artist, sooner or later you're going to have to draw hands. Having hand drawings in portfolios are a good idea, to show that you can illustrate good emotional expression through body movements and stance.

Drawing hands accurately takes practice. I would know, since my hand drawing skills are quite poor.(I am getting better though). But if drawn accurately, hands can show a lot of emotion in characters, which is a key element in animations.

-AA

No comments:

Post a Comment